A visionary plan
On March 21, 2011 the project application was filed with the City of Lafayette. The description of the proposed project is as follows:
Terraces of Lafayette, a proposed community of 315 high quality affordable apartments, will bring much-needed rental housing to the City of Lafayette. Located on the site of a former rock quarry, Terraces of Lafayette takes advantage of an isolated, vacant parcel of land currently under private ownership by the Dettmer Family Trust. Proposed by The O’Brien Land Company LLC, Terraces of Lafayette will aesthetically enhance the site and bring numerous community benefits to the people of Lafayette. Included are:
- Improvements to the intersection of Pleasant Hill Road and Deer Hill Road at no public costs
- New sources of property tax and sales tax revenues to the City
- Significant landscape improvements—including the planting of 700 new trees—to a barren and unattractive parcel.
- Provides housing opportunities for those working in Lafayette
- Helps Lafayette meet regional requirement for multi-family housing with access to transit